Freshman Advice: Do’s and Don’ts

Angie Leung, Online Content Editor

Do:

• Take advantage of after-school study spots!
    • When the school day ends, many students head to Cary Library, which is a five-minute walk from Lexington High School, to study or meet up with friends. If you don’t want to walk, LHS also has a library in the Main Building, though it typically closes at 4:30 p.m. Another option is hosting study sessions at restaurants in the town center, where you grab snacks and work with friends. All of these places double as great hangout spots.
  • Be prepared!
    • Make sure to bring all your class materials, including a fully charged Chromebook. Having a few pencils in your backpack also helps avoid being caught empty-handed on test days. 
  • Take care of your health!
    • Your mental health is equally as important as your physical health. Your guidance counselors and other trusted adults are resources throughout your high school journey and can help you manage stress and address concerns. 
  • Have a great freshman year!
    • Make the most of your first year. Get to know your teachers and classmates well, especially those in your homeroom, since you will spend much of high school with them. Most importantly, don’t spend all of your time obsessing over grades. Instead, make time for your friends, family, and what you love to do.

Don’t:

• Overload yourself with difficult classes
    • Don’t overload your schedule with too many advanced classes. Take a manageable course load. If you are interested in a higher level, choose honors or APs next year after discovering the subjects you love. If you are interested in dropping or adding a class, don’t hesitate to reach out to your guidance counselor during the add/drop period at the beginning of the year.
  • Be late for your bus
    • Unless you love walking, don’t be late for your bus because they typically leave at 3:20 p.m. or earlier. If you are planning to stay after school for extra help or a club, make sure you have a ride home.
  • Disregard absences
    • If you know you will be absent, plan ahead of time by emailing your teachers and dean. It’s also a good idea to contact other students in your classes for extra help catching up on the material you missed. Lastly, you can refer to your syllabi for different classes and be mindful of your teachers’ policies on making up missing work. 
  • Run in the hallways!
  • While being on time for your classes is important, there’s no need to run through the halls. Trust us, five/ten minutes of passing time is enough to walk across campus. Note: there is usually a lot of traffic near the doors of the Main Building and the doors leading to Commons II. It may also help to know that most teachers are understanding if you are just a couple of minutes late.
  • Get overwhelmed by freshman fear
    • Enjoy your freshman year and make the most of it. Don’t be afraid to take new classes, meet new people, try a sport, or join a club. Always feel free to reach out to others when you have any concerns or questions; many students and teachers are willing to help you. We promise that upperclassmen aren’t as scary as you might think. Most importantly, take care of yourself and always make time for the things you enjoy!